Teen Summer 2017

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Why Vegan?

The trends are rising. Especially among teens, it’s becoming popular to ditch your meat for beans and tofu. Being brought up with the mindset that meat provides my necessary protein, I've never considered opting out of animals and animal products. But once you learn these facts, you just might want to try out this diet.

Pros
Just think of the animal ethics that surround raising animals in large quantities with limited space. Many people I know have gone vegan after seeing bloody animal parts at the supermarket or watching a documentary that showcased the ugly truth to raising livestock. It's pretty horrible in the slaughterhouses, and many animals are overstuffed so they give the most meat possible.

Think of the environmental impact. It takes thousands of pounds of water to produce just one pound of steak, due to the water that a cow drinks in its lifetime and the water used in processing the steak.
- Further, methane is a byproduct of raising livestock, due to “enteric fermentation,” or cow farts to put it bluntly. Methane, like carbon dioxide, is one of the largest greenhouse gasses that contributes to global warming.
- Additionally, humans have fewer resources because so many of our crops go to animals.

Think of your health. Some people have sworn that vegan eating has put them in the best fitness of their lives. Skipping animals and animal products reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer, research shows. Further, many people undergo a healthy weight loss and maintain a low blood pressure.

I just realized that even if I were vegan, I would still have
fruits which are my favorite
Cons
Think of your health. If you are not smart with your diet and don’t find alternate ways to get typical nutrients from dairy or meat, then you can definitely subject yourself to malnutrition. There can be many health benefits to going vegan, but it takes time and effort to build your meals so that you are getting enough of the proper nutrients. You will have to do some initial research to make sure you are fueling your body properly. Many people lack energy and lose their source of Vitamin B12 and iron.

Think of your personal beliefs. I simply think that eating animals is natural for an omnivorous creature like us humans, and thus the repercussions of raising livestock is part of the process. Hey kids, it’s the circle of life, after all.

Think of your appetite. From a non-vegan perspective, I’m just thinking of all the beautiful foods I will be missing out on if I go vegan. I’m sure there are substitutes, but like, would I really want to live the rest of my life never again having an In N Out burger or vanilla milkshake? No thanks, I’ll stick to my current diet.

So what does your diet consist of? Have you tried veganism or vegetarianism before, and if so, what are your thoughts? As I go off to college next year where the cafeteria will have endless options, I hope to become a vegetarian for the environmental benefits. Hope this post has you considering your options and weighing the benefits of going vegan.

For more information, you can visit  http://www.govegan.org.uk/why-vegan/ or https://authoritynutrition.com/top-5-reasons-why-vegan-diets-are-a-terrible-idea/

Post by Katia G., Homework Assistant


No comments:

Post a Comment