Teen Summer 2017

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

'Twas the Night Before Finals...



‘Twas the night before finals and all through the house, I lay spread-eagle on the ground, feeling that failure is surely bound. Extra-credit points for rhyming?


 With finals quickly approaching, it’s easy to feel absolutely overwhelmed with stress. As a major culprit of pre-finals anxiety, I’m trying by best to put it all in perspective.


 It’s hard to write about finals, because anything I say, I directly contradict in my own life. Sure, I could preach endlessly about why we shouldn’t be so stressed about school, and how a single grade on our report cards will not define the rest of our lives – but we’ve heard it all before. I could write about getting enough sleep (important!) or what type of breakfast to eat (also important!) but it’s unlikely that I’ll cure the inherent stress of any modern high school student.


But here is what I do know: everything we are told in our most stressed moments will turn out to be true. When a parent, a teacher, or an older sibling reminds us that our current worries will not impact our destiny, though I may roll my eyes now, I have faith that one day they will prove to be right.


Here’s a helpful site for those moments when you’re drowning in a pile of AP History notes:  


And now, the obligatory tips for surviving finals week (you knew it was coming!)


Ask for help- My biggest mistake in previous semesters has been thinking that I can teach myself a difficult concept the night before a final. Let’s just say it hasn’t worked. Don’t be afraid to ask a teacher, a tutor, or an older sibling for extra support.  A Teen Zone Homework Assistant can always help with review packets and other study materials.


Alter the way you approach a test- I was once told by a teacher, “The test is more afraid of you than you are of the test”. Corny as it may be, I repeat the motto before assessments to settle any lingering nerves. With enough studying and thoughtful preparation, the test should be afraid of you.


Take moments to enjoy the season- Dance in the rain, help decorate your Christmas tree or lighting your menorah, and wear your comfiest sweaters. Even if you only have a few minutes, do your best to embrace the festivity of winter. It will help you de-stress!


This makes a jolly ambience for studying:
In short, study hard and try to maintain perspective.


Happy finals to all, and to all a good night! (Really, stop studying and go to bed.)


Post by Allie C., Homework Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment