Teen Summer 2017

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Books to be grateful for



Thanksgiving is right around the corner. In the spirit of gratitude, I thought I might list the top five books that have helped me throughout my entire life (many of these I read as a child) and why I am grateful for those books. 

5.The Book Thief, Markus Zusak - The Book Thief gave me a greater appreciation of my family and the time I live in. It also helped me acknowledge my ability to read. I am very lucky that I do not have to read a "Grave Digger's Handbook". 

4.The Hobbit, J.R.R Tolkien - This book was always interesting to me. Since I am very short, this book made me grateful that I am taller than a Hobbit. Furthermore, Bilbo inspired me to find my own adventure to go on in my life. 

3.Fablehaven, Brandon Mull - This series was my favorite for a long period of time. I am grateful for Seth's sense of humor (it has helped shape mine today) and for the role model that Kendra was for me. She was always like my older sister and I appreciated her character's endurance.

2.To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee - I am so grateful for this book. Particularly during this time, I went through many struggles with friends. Although many interpret the message of climbing into one's skin and walking around in it only applicable to the civil rights movement, I realized how this applied to everyone. When I am ever skeptical of someone and am tempted to mock another, I immediately remember this message. It opens a brand new perspective for me. 

1.Harry Potter, J.K Rowling - When I was 10 years old, I moved across the country from Ohio to California. This was incredibly hard considering I was leaving the only place I had ever known. As I entered fifth grade, I realized I did not have the friends I had known for years and years. I was all alone. I reread the Harry Potter series. I can honestly say, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were my best friends that year. They taught me the value of friendship and later would follow me to high school. This series gave me my childhood and for this, I am eternally grateful to J.K. Rowling. No book series can I instantly quote off the top of my head like hers. Thank you Harry Potter for making my childhood a magical place, full of friends, and full of endless adventure!

Feel free to comment what your favorite books are and how they have impacted you. 

Written by Rebecca, Homework Assistant

No comments:

Post a Comment